Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Gaming History

1987 -My earliest memory of video gaming is of my older brother threatening to clobber me if I didn't get Legend of Zelda for NES for my 6th birthday. I then was allowed to watch him play through the entire game before I even got a chance to make my own character.

1991-1994 -Super NES changes the way I game, introducing me to the 4 button concepts. Sim City, NBA Jam, and Super Baseball Simulator 1000 rules my life.

1995 -My computer gaming life truly begins. Command and Conquer, Civilization 2 and Master of Orion 2* dominate much of my play time. X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and you guessed it, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter throw me s-foils first into the SciFi genre.

*Side note: Game sequels have a much better chance to being better than the original than movie sequels do, am I right? And if you say D2 was better than Mighty Ducks I just may have to punch you in the face.

1998-1999 -Starcraft 2 introduces me to online multiplayer gaming. I dominate my worldwide, national, county, high school homeroom ladder. Alpha Centauri sears itself into my brain as being one of the greatest turn based strategy games I will ever play.

2000-2005 -College and my entry into the so called "real" "world" causes me to focus more on being an actual contributor to society rather than play games. It was a dark time.

2006-2007 -My foray into massive multiplayer online gaming begins as I download the trial for Eve Online. Oddly enough, the reason I didn't get into the game earlier was that I thought you needed to own a joystick to play, which I did not own at the time and was too lazy and go buy. During this time I also purchase Lord of the Rings Online when it is released. I still remember being blown away that when you equipped new armor, the appearance of your character changed as well. I mean, who are the ad wizards that came up with that one?

2008-2010 -I take a much needed break from EVE and join my brother who was currently playing Warhammer Online. Being a WAR junkie from the time I was a kid, the game immediately consumes all my available play time. The guild I join goes from 15-20 active members online at once to 5-10 (which certainly mirrored WAR's declining player base at the time). I stick with the game for about 15 months, which is my longest stint in an MMO to date. During this time, I had the chance to be a realm captain of sort, organizing city raids and taking part in our server's first ever king kill (more on that in a later post).

2010-2011 -With the release of Tyrannis, EVE sucks me right back in and I begin making oodles of ISK making control towers. The click-fest that was planetary interaction slowly gets to me, and I experiment with other games like Fallen Earth and Perpetuum. I also purchase Starcraft 2 and once again begin to dominate all those oppose me...in the bronze ladder. During this time I also play through Fallout 3, which in a nutshell, was rad.

Present Day -I am currently playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. In middle school, I was reading an average of 2 Star Wars novels a month and promised myself to name my first born Wedge. That, coupled with married life and this "job" my wife keeps making me go to, it is the perfect fit for me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment