Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Anything You Can Do, I Can Do...uh, the Same.


As I have been researching methods on making a computer game, two websites have caught my eye and have made me exclaim, "THAT'S what I want to do!" As I move forward with my project (which needs a codename, by the way. Any ideas?), one of the most important aspects I am going to have to think about is the design process itself. Take a look at the two sites below and let me know what you think.

1. Games2Gether

Games2Gether is a project created by Amplitude Studios based out of Paris. The goal of the project is to allow players to take part in the game design process. They do all the programming, players do *most* of the design. I imagine that the goal of this is to make people feel invested in the end product and thus be loyal to the game. Perhaps they are even banking on these "player developers" to provide some free advertising as well via social media.

I must say that I am very impressed that someone else out there came up with the same idea as me. Okay, I lied, I am not impressed at all and realized I cannot claim proprietorship over the concept. I will definitely be following how Amplitude handles the whole process.

2. Kick Starter

No, I don't want to create a site like kickstarter.com, but I definitely want to utilize it. It was this site that actually motivated me to up and write a blog to get my computer game idea off the ground. There are several computer game developers on the site already and many of them have received double, and in some cases over triple, the amount needed to fun their project.


Article about KickStarter.com and Computer Games

No comments:

Post a Comment