Wednesday, March 14, 2012

It has to start somewhere, even if somewhere doesn't exist yet...

The first step I am going to take in making my computer game is creating the universe in which it will exist. I am actually really excited to do so. I don't want to brag or anything, but I am a published author. When I was in 7th grade, I had to write a story for English class for a statewide contest. The winners of the contest were then published in an anthology that was read by middle schoolers across the state. I know, I know, it is obvious to those who have been reading my blog that I simply dominated the contest. I wrote story that was good and stuff and people liked my story because I use good words in it. The short story I wrote did end up getting selected and it remains to this day the high point in my writing career. I remember staying up late for a week just working on the backstory. I went as far as to create a timeline for the events that led up to where the story begins. I am pretty sure I had more fun with that than actually writing the story itself.

So join me, will you? Join me in the creation of a world, the shaping of a universe. I would absolutely love for all of your input and suggestions as to where to begin, which direction to go, and how it should all end up.

I have narrowed it down to four different genres, listing with them what I believe their limitations are. Feel free to prove me wrong.

1. SciFi
Limitations: Not many, we could create any race, have it take place at any time, with whatever level of technology we want. Expansion options are limitless, I mean if Star Wars can introduce the Yuuzhan Vong, anything is possible, am I right?

2. Modern/Near Future
Limitations: Only race would be human, not much room for expansion in the future. Technology would be somewhat limited.

3. Post Apocalyptic
Limitations: Only race would be humans (I suppose you could have mutated humans). Limited to planet earth. Also not much room for expansion in the future.

4. Fantasy
Limitations: I would hate having to create a fantasy world that does not only involve my wife and/or Mila Kunis.

I am going to link this post on the front page and I will change/add things as they are suggested.

No comments:

Post a Comment